Officiate Iowa High School Athletic Events
How to Become an IHSAA Official
Stay involved with Iowa high school athletics by registering as an official! To qualify, registrants must be a high school student or older, have a thorough understanding of the sport you wish to officiate, and the ability to interpret and apply rules.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any officiating-related questions.
IOWA CENTER FOR OFFICIALS SERVICES (ICOS)
2021-22 IHSAA & IGHSAU OFFICIALS REGISTRATION
Starting in the 2021-22 athletic year, the IHSAA and IGHSAU will be utilizing the NFHS Center for Officials Services, powered by DragonFly, for information, registration, education, licensing, and postseason assignments for all officials.
Once logged in, you will find tutorials and information from DragonFly to help you better understand the registration and licensing process.
Get started by logging in and/or creating your DragonFly account through these steps:
- Click through for the NFHS Center for Officials Services at DragonFly.
- Select the blue Log-In button in the center of the page. The button is surrounded by a red line and says Officials & Associations.
- Begin the log-in process:
- If you have an existing DragonFly account, you may enter your information and sign in. Please do not create a new account.
- If you do not have an account, select Sign Up For Free. The email address you use to sign up will be used throughout your log-in, registration, and user process.
- Once logged in, click on the Get Started button.
- Select your role as an Official.
- Select your role as a Contest Official.
- Select Iowa as your registration state.
- Click on the IHSAA-IGHSAU | Iowa Center for Official Services, then Join.
- Select your local officials association, if applicable.
- Click on Complete Your Registration and fulfill the requested forms and information.
For more information on using DragonFly:
- Official’s Guide to Registration
- All DragonFly tutorials and courses
- Request a DragonFly demo or guide
Updated 2021-22 Officials Requirements:
- All officials are required to register with a DragonFly account.
- Complete your demographics and criminal history reporting within DragonFly.
- Pay registrations and dues within DragonFly.
- Complete an annual online rules meeting video (opens 1 month prior to respective sport start date).
- Score a 75% or higher on an annual online open book exam (opens 1 month prior to respective sport start date).
- The IHSAA offers and provides credit for educational clinics in football, basketball, soccer, wrestling and baseball, which will enable you to qualify for postseason assignments. You need to have attended a clinic to be considered for postseason. Attending at least once every three years is required to be considered.
With technical or log-in issues, please contact a member of the DragonFly team: www.dragonflymax.com/contact or 1-877-246-1818.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE BECOMING AN IHSAA OFFICIAL
- Officials from out-of-state must obtain a valid IHSAA license to officiate within Iowa.
- All licenses expire annually after the state baseball tournament and must be renewed within one year of expiration.
- High school students are eligible to obtain a license and officiate sub-varsity and junior high contests as of the 2019-20 school year.
Official Exams and Rules Meeting Requirements
- All officials must score 75 percent or higher on an online open-book exam in the sport(s) for which they intend to officiate. Exams may be retaken twice if necessary.
- All officials are required to view an online rules interpretation meeting pertaining to their sport(s) before the season begins.
- To become varsity eligible, new officials of football, basketball, baseball, and wrestling must attend a clinic within the first three years of registration.