The IHSAA Student-Athlete of the Month Award recognizes one student-athlete who displays exceptional accomplishment in the areas of academics, athletics, and community service.
IHSAA student-athletes in grades 9-12 who attend member schools are eligible to receive the award.
Nominations may be submitted by principals, athletic directors, teachers, coaches, guidance counselors or other school administrators. Nominations must be received by the last day of each month in order to qualify for the next month’s award.
May 2023 Student-Athlete of the Month
Name: Ryce Reynolds
School: Mount Ayr
Nominated By: Josh Vanderflught, principal, Mount Ayr
Sports: Basketball, Track & Field, Baseball
- Student Council
- HELP Youth Pod
- Leader in Me Lighthouse Team
- National Honor Society
- School Drama Productions
- 4.0 GPA
- Numerous dual-credit college courses
- Honor Roll every semester since 7th grade
- TAG student
- Multi-year member of Mount Ayr’s Academic Decathlon Team
- Two-time All-Conference Honorable Mention
- Two-time Academic All-Conference
- Track & Field
- 2023 Drake Relays Champ in 400m and Runner-Up in 400m Hurdles
- Pride of Iowa Conference Champ in 4 Events: 100m, 200m, 400m, & 400m Hurdles. Broke School record in all except 100m
- Defending Class 1A State Champ in 400m & 400m Hurdles
- Des Moines Register 2021-22 All-Iowa Track Team
- First Team All-Conference
- Multi-year starter
H.E.L.P. youth philanthropy organization. H.E.L.P. stands for Helping Enrich the Lives of People and is a county-wide organization. Ryce applied to join the organization at the end of his 7th grade year and was selected for his commitment to community service. Ryce has proven himself as an exceptional leader. Ryce is a reliable group member: he shows up early, stays late, volunteers to take on tasks and fulfill duties. He is currently VP of this group, planning our county service day at 40 sites.
Congratulations, Ryce! Thank you for being a great representation of your school and Iowa high school activities.