Information for IHSAA Media Members
Provided for newspaper, television, radio, online and other media outlets, as well as member schools and interested parties.
View publicly available guidelines, procedures, and information for Iowa boys’ high school sporting events.
General IHSAA Information
- The IHSAA welcomes media members to high school boys’ sporting events throughout the year. We appreciate the tremendous resource journalism and event coverage provide to our member schools, communities, and student-athletes.
- IHSAA policies, procedures, and recommendations for media members can be found in the annual Media Policy Manual.
- Sport Statistics: Quik Stats Iowa | TrackWrestling
- Archives: IHSAA History & Awards
- Media requests, data requests, and inquiries to the IHSAA should be submitted to: Chris Cuellar, communications director, email@example.com, 515-432-2011.
IHSAA Style & Use
Toolbox items and guides for IHSAA coverage.
- Classifications: Sport classifications are arranged through school enrollment numbers in descending order. The number of classifications vary by sport, as schools with larger enrollments feature in higher numbered classes (ex. 4A, 3A) and smaller enrollments in lower (2A, 1A, A). The IHSAA does not use hyphens in classification titles, with the exception of “Eight-Player” in football.
- Schools: The IHSAA uses school names as listed through their districts by the Iowa Department of Education. These may be abbreviated or shortened in certain IHSAA uses.
- Status: The IHSAA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that offers free membership to all high schools in Iowa that are recognized by the Department of Education. It operates without the use of tax monies and is not a department of the Iowa state government.
- Titles: Official references should include the organization’s title (Iowa High School Athletic Association), acronym (IHSAA), or colloquial identification (Athletic Association). Other references (e.g. the state, IAHSAA, boys’ association, etc.) are considered unofficial and inaccurate.
The IHSAA outline logo is a trademarked and copyrighted image. It may be downloaded here for appropriate media use.
Official IHSAA colors are Reflex Blue and Red 032 C.
- Reflex Blue: CMYK 100, 72, 0, 0; RGB 51, 51, 132; HEX 333399.
- Red 032 C: CMYK 0, 90, 76, 0; RGB 239, 51, 64; HEX EF3340.
Video Access & Livestreaming
Regular season video or livestreaming is at the discretion of the host school or site.
Media outlets and interested schools or individuals may apply to the IHSAA regarding video at postseason lead-up events, following procedures required for access.
The Iowa High Schools Sports Network and NFHS Network maintain exclusive rights for select IHSAA state tournament and postseason events.
- Postseason Video Access
- Iowa High School Sports Network
- NFHS Network
The IHSAA does not currently maintain video archives from any sport or state tournament event.
The Iowa High School Sports Network is neither owned nor operated by the IHSAA.
IHSAA MEDIA AWARD
Since 1970, the IHSAA has presented an annual award to media members to honor their coverage and commitment to Iowa high school activities.
JOIN THE IHSAA MEDIA MAILING LIST
Add your email below to be added the IHSAA’s media list for select press releases, state tournament credential information, and other important updates. Joining this list does not register you or your outlet for state tournament credentials or other approved media activities.