New in 2021, the IHSAA Student-Athlete of the Month Award recognizes one student-athlete who displays exceptional accomplishment in the areas of academics, athletics, and community service.
IHSAA student-athletes (boys’ sports) in grades 9-12 who attend member schools are eligible to receive the award.
Nominations may be submitted by principals, athletic directors, teachers, coaches, guidance counselors or other school administrators. Nominations must be received by the last day of each month in order to qualify for the next month’s award. Award recipients will be selected from September through April each school year.
Name: Will Lohr
School: Sioux City, North
Nominated By: Chris Koch, Athletic Director
Sports: Cross Country, Swimming, Track and Field
- Section Band Leader
- Student Council President
- National Honor Society
- 4.24 GPA
- Six-time academic all-conference
- At time of nomination, the No. 3 cross country runner in 4A
- Fourth place 2020 State Cross Country Meet
- Team won school’s first state cross country team championship
- Three-time state cross country qualifier
- Track: 2nd in the 3200 and 4th in the 1600 at the 2021 State Meet
- Drake Relays: 3rd in the 3200, 3rd in the 4×800, and 4th in the 1600 in 2021.
- Volunteer at the food bank
- Will and his family were honored as the family of the year by the Siouxland Food Bank
- Volunteer at Art Splash and Greek Fest
- Will leads by example and embodies what a student-athlete should look like. His success in the classroom and his extra-curricular activities comes as no surprise.
- Honored as the Athlete of the Week by the Sioux City Journal
- Rotary Club Student of the Month
- Active member of the Holy Cross Church.
Congratulations, Will! Thank you for being a great representation of your school and Iowa high school activities.