Breaking down district title races and playoff qualifying scenarios ahead of Week 9
With just one game left in the 2019 regular season, the race is on to claim the playoff spots still up for grabs following Week 8. For those who need a refresher on qualifying procedures…
- Sixteen playoff spots in each of the six classifications
- District champions earn automatic berths; in event of a three-way tie, highest-rated team per RPI gets automatic spot
- The IHSAA’s Ratings Percentage Index applies for determining at-large qualifiers and for seeding brackets
- New head-to-head criteria will apply to final RPI rankings
- Results and projections are unofficial until the final RPI rankings are posted late Friday night and brackets are released a few hours after that.
- Questions? Review the Postseason Manual, the 2019 RPI Guide, and the latest edition of RPI rankings for more information.
The final edition of the RPI will be published alongside a list of playoff qualifiers on Friday night, following the completion of all Week 9 games. Brackets displaying first round and quarterfinal matchups will be posted as soon as they are available.
Numbers listed next to school names indicate their RPI placement following Week 8.
District standings are linked through each classification’s header.
DISTRICT TITLE CLINCHED
These teams have earned automatic qualifying spots according to the current district situations.
The eight highest-rated district champs in each class get first round home games.
#4 Dowling Catholic, W.D.M.
#3 Ankeny Centennial
#9 Linn-Mar, Marion
#5 Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
#1 Valley, West Des Moines
#22 Central Lyon/George-Little Rock
#3 Saint Ansgar
#4 MFL MarMac
#10 Belle Plaine
#2 North Tama
#5 Woodbury Central
DISTRICT TITLE GAMES
Win and you’re in.
Several districts have titles on the line with head-to-head contests in Week 9, and the winner claims an automatic spot.
#8 Iowa Falls-Alden at #3 Clear Lake
#11 West Liberty at #7 Tipton
#6 Greene County at #4 OABCIG
MORE PLAYOFF INFORMATION
Any districts not listed still have multiple possible outcomes. Two-way district ties are broken by head-to-head result and true three-way ties are broken by the team with the highest RPI getting the automatic district spot.
- Tickets for first round and quarterfinals are $8 for all individuals; for kids, school-aged and up
- 2019 Regular Season and Postseason Score List
- 2019 State Football Central
- 2018 State Football Playoff Results
- Interested in broadcasting video from the first round or quarterfinal games?